“When Phlegm-Heat disturbs the Mind there can be mental restlessness, hypomanic or manic behavior, mental confusion, irrational behavior, talking a lot, laughing a lot, staying up late at night to work or play, and insomnia.”
“The fortieth point of the Stomach channel is specific for Phlegm “clouding the Mind’. From the mental-emotional point of view, I use this point very frequently to calm the Mind . . . in anxiety, insomnia, worry or mental restlessness”.—G. Maciocia
- nausea with phlegm in chest or throat
- dizziness or fullness in head from mucus congestion
- thick, sticky secretions from ears, eyes, nose, throat, mouth, etc.
- headaches as if head were filled with fluids
- inability to think clearly, or be alert and present
- worse in humid environment, by eating eating greasy, oily foods, milk products, eggs, sugar
- sticky or greasy stools
- thick greasy tongue coating
- excessive use of pot that leads to inaction and poor memory
The signs and symptoms above point to a diagnosis of Excess Phlegm. When the Spleen-Pancreas functions are weak, a person is more predisposed to accumulation of Dampness in the body. When dampness is not drained, formation of phlegm often results. To make matters worse, Excess Phlegm will further hinder the Spleen-Pancreas in its ability to transport and drain fluids. This Catch-22 becomes a sticky-phlegmy situation–literally so–with a tendency toward chronic ailments.
Phlegm can affect many organs and body functions. From a psycho-emotional perspective, Phlegm can “mist” the Mind, often leaving the person as if in a daze. When Phlegm “mists” the Mind, the perception and experience of the world is altered: the person can’t think clearly, and can’t think fast. The sensory experience is of; reflexes are slower. There can also be inappropriate laughing or crying. The person’s eyes lack the usual luster and sparkle. In fact, in some cases the eyes look dull or glazed over.
While it is a great thing that we can now legally use cannabis without having the legal repercussions prior generations suffered, its epidemic use as a way to cope with stress is becoming alarming; especially when looked at from an energetic perspective.